10 Facts You Don’t Know About Dubai

World’s 25% of cranes are located in Dubai owing to the booming of real estate business.

9. Dubai’s artificial Palm Islands imported enough sand to fill 2.5 Empire State Buildings

10 Facts You Don’t Know About Dubai2

The Empire State Building has a volume of 37 million cubic meters whereas the construction of Dubai’s artificial Palm Islands made use of 94 million cubic meters of sand.

8. The Burj Al Arab uses enough gold inside to cover 46,265 Mona Lisa paintings

10 Facts You Don’t Know About Dubai3

Burj Al Arab interior has been decorated with about 1,790 sqaure meters of gold leaf, 24-carat while the surface area of the Mona Lisa is 0.3869 square meters.

7. Dubai’s police force spends more on each of their super cars than it costs to send a kid to college

10 Facts You Don’t Know About Dubai4

Dubai police requires a squad of supercars to tackle all the speedy and fancy cars that can be seen roaming around and in light of this particular issue, the Police has Ferrari FF ($500,000), Lamborghini Aventador ($397,000) and even has one Aston Martin One-77 ($1.79 million) whereas the most expensive college in the US, NYU, costs a total of $247,908 for a four year degree.

6. Approximately 85% of the population is foreign

10 Facts You Don’t Know About Dubai5

According to a study that was carried out in Dubai, only 10-15% of the population is Emiratis with the rest 85% being foreigners mostly from India, Bangladesh and Pakistan.

5. In Dubai, $300 robots are replacing illegal child labor in camel racing

10 Facts You Don’t Know About Dubai6

Camel racing is worth quite a lot and illegal child trafficking was used to get children that would be jockeys, however, now robots that are priced between $300 and $1,000 are in use to discourage child trafficking.

4. The Burj Khalifa is so tall that some of its residents need to wait longer to break fast during Ramadan

10 Facts You Don’t Know About Dubai7

The Bur Khalifa is about half a mile long with 160 residential floors and for those who are living on the 150th or higher floors the sun is visible for longer and therefore they can’t ‘iftaar’ at the same time as the rest of the building.

3. If the Burj Khalifa was in Freiburg, Germany, you would still see it from Strasbourg, France

10 Facts You Don’t Know About Dubai8

The distance between Strasbourg, France and Freiburg, Germany is 86.4 km and the Burj Khalifa can be seen from a distance of 95 km.

2. Forty percent of physical gold traded in 2013 occurred in Dubai. All together, it weighed more than 354 elephants

10 Facts You Don’t Know About Dubai9

The global physical gold traded in Dubai in 2013 was $70 billion that is equal to 2,250 tons or 2,250,000 kilograms. An elephant, African Male, weighs in at 2,268-6,350 kg.

1. Dubai is building a climate controlled “city” 2.25 times as big as Monaco

10 Facts You Don’t Know About Dubai10

Dubai is busy planning the construction of a climate-controlled city that shall have an area of 4.45 sq. kilometers and shall sport boardwalks that would be air-conditioned. Oh and Monaco has an area of 2.02 sq. kilometers.